These turkey avocado patties are the juiciest and flavorful turkey patties you will ever try! Packed with lean protein and healthy fats for a delicious and easy dinner which consists of 4 typical ingredients plus salt and pepper.
Why you should make this recipe
This is my favorite recipe for healthy turkey patties! I prefer them to the beef patties, which is saying a lot considering a burger lover like me.
If you’ve never mixed an avocado with protein for a burger, you’ll be surprised how it turns out. Avocado adds moisture and flavor to turkey patties and balances super lean turkey protein. As a result, you get a nutritious and filling meal, after which you can feel good.
Enjoy them with your favorite side dish like spaghetti squash, or tuck them between burger buns for a delicious turkey burger.
This simple recipe contains only four common ingredients plus salt and pepper.
- ground turkey: use 93% lean ground turkey; minced chicken will work too
- avocado: it is very important to add juiciness, healthy fats and flavor
- egg: works to hold the turkey patties together
- Garlic: one clove of garlic is enough to add a great flavor
- salt and black pepper
Step by step instructions
These amazing turkey burgers come together in four easy steps. And it only takes about ten minutes!
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, egg, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper until well combined. Be careful not to touch the meat too hard or it becomes hard and dry.
Step 2: Cut the avocado into small cubes and mix it with the turkey mixture.
Step 3: Divide the turkey mixture evenly and form into 2 large patties or 3 smaller ones.
Step 4: Brush a large skillet with cooking spray or a healthy oil, such as avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil. Fry the turkey cutlets over medium heat for 3 minutes on one side. Turn the turkey patty over and cook the other side for 3 minutes or until fully cooked.
Serve immediately or see instructions below for proper storage.
There is nothing better than an easy and delicious meat recipe that can be quickly prepared in a matter of minutes. But there are a few tips you might find useful while making this turkey burger with avocado recipe.
- Without breadcrumbs: An uncooked turkey patty mix will likely be less firm than you would normally expect from burger patties. This is normal for a recipe without breadcrumbs.
- Be gentle: The turkey patties will stick together well after frying. Just handle them carefully when transferring them to the pan so they don’t fall apart.
- Don’t overdo it: handling the minced meat too often can result in a tough turkey patty; so do not overdo it with the meat mixture!
- Check readiness: Slice the chops to check for doneness before removing them from the pan. If it’s still pink, cook for an additional minute or two on each side. This may be necessary if the patties are larger or the ground turkey is very moist.
- Food safety: The turkey must be FULLY cooked before it can be eaten. Never eat undercooked poultry!
- We bake patties: Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C). Bake the chops on a baking sheet lined with baking paper for 30 minutes, turning them halfway through. This is especially useful for keeping the hob clean.
Using ground meat, such as ground turkey, gives you flexibility and versatility when adding your favorite seasonings.
I usually add some garlic, salt and pepper to the ground turkey and leave it at that. This makes the recipe simple yet tasty. But check out these variations to enhance the recipe:
- Add thyme or sage (fresh or dried will work) to the meat mixture to make a breakfast sausage.
- Minced ginger, green onions and extra garlic make for Asian inspired patties.
- Add curry powder, turmeric and cumin for more Indian flavors.
- Or consider Mediterranean herbs like oregano, basil, and parsley for turkey herb pate.
In short, turkey and avocado will taste great no matter which flavor combination you choose!
My favorite way to serve turkey patties with avocado is on a healthy low carb side like spaghetti squash or rice cauliflower. But you can also toss them into burger buns with lettuce, onions, tomatoes and pickles for a delicious turkey burger.
They can also be served for breakfast as turkey pancakes with a fried egg. There is no wrong way to enjoy turkey patties as long as you nourish your body well.
Leftover turkey patties can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Toss this simple recipe on the weekend to keep your healthy turkey avocado patties ready all week. Or better yet, incorporate it as part of your meal prep—double or triple the recipe for a quick, nutritious meal on busy weeknights.
If you use 97 percent lean ground turkey, each serving will contain 26 grams of protein, 15 grams of healthy fat, and only 4 grams of carbs. And most of the carbs are avocado fiber!
You can further reduce the fat content by using 99% lean ground turkey, but I don’t recommend it. Very lean ground turkey has less flavor and tends to produce dry turkey patties.
Instead, if you want to reduce the fat content, I recommend cutting the avocado into quarters, not half as it says on the recipe card.
Frequently asked questions
Ground turkey is a lean source of protein and has less saturated fat than ground beef. What’s more, this turkey burger recipe also contains healthy avocado fats, making it a delicious and healthy choice.
Ground meat, especially poultry, tends to dry out after mixing. Avoid fiddling with the meat mixture too much as the turkey burger will become dry and tough.
The only way to know when the patties are ready is to cut one of them with a knife. If the juice is clear and there is no pink turkey meat, the patties are ready.
More healthy turkey recipes
Turkey is a great way to change up your routine and still enjoy healthy, lean protein. If you’re looking for some more delicious turkey recipes, here are some of my favorites that you’re sure to enjoy:
If you’re looking for even more inspiration for quick and tasty meals, check out my roundup of my best low carb healthy chicken recipes!
When you try this dish, don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Turkey patties with avocado
These Avocado Turkey Cutlets are the most juicy and flavorful turkey patties you’ve ever tasted! Packed with lean protein and healthy fats for a perfectly healthy and delicious dinner.
Mix ground turkey, egg, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Be careful not to touch the meat too hard or it will become dry and rubbery.
8 ounces ground turkey, 1 egg, 1 garlic clove, ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
Cut the avocado into small cubes and mix it with the turkey mixture.
Divide the turkey mixture evenly and make 2 large patties or 3 smaller ones.
Grease a large skillet with cooking spray or other healthy oil. Fry the turkey cutlets over medium heat for 3 minutes on one side. Turn the turkey patty over and cook the other side for 3 minutes or until fully cooked.
Notes to the recipe
Helpful Tips: An uncooked patty will appear less firm than a regular burger. This is normal and will persist after frying. If the patties are larger or the turkey was very moist, you may need to increase the cooking time to 4-5 minutes on each side.
Alternative method: Turkey patties can also be baked for 30 minutes at 190°C, turning them halfway.
Storage Instructions: The patties can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Consider doubling the recipe for an easy meal prep idea.
Nutritional information per serving
Turkey patties with avocado
Amount per serving (1 cutlet)
139 calories from fat
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5.1 g26%
trans fats 0g
Polyunsaturated fats 1.2g
monounsaturated fats 4.4g
cholesterol 173 mg58%
Sodium 235.5 mg10%
Potassium 227.6 mg7%
Vitamin A 185 IU4%
Vitamin C 5.7 mg7%
Calcium 20 mg2%
Iron 2.1 mg12%
Net carbs 1.5g
* Daily percentages are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
#Turkey #patties #avocado